No faculty member or professional Librarian is required to join the Union as a condition of employment, although each employee, whether or not he/she is a member of the Union, shall pay the equivalent of dues to the Union. The dues rate is 1.18% of the member’s salary and is deducted by the Payroll Office. Dues are income tax deductible and the University will provide each member with a T-4 slip. Your dues include membership fees for:
- The Canadian University Association Teachers (CAUT)
- The National Union of the Canadian Association of University Teachers (NUCAUT)
- CAUT DEFENCE (SMUFU Representative, Dr. Jacob Hanley)
- The Canadian Labour Congress (CLC)
- Nova Scotia Federation of Labour Congress (NSFLC)
- The Association of Nova Scotia University Teachers (ANSUT).